« Home | Guest Appearance... » | the truth is out there... » | The Liberation of Truth - An Introduction » | Why this? » | RSVP. » | falling short? » | Let the Fun begin... »

The Essence of Faith.

A 17 year old girl stands in front of her student group and gives her testimony:

"ok, so i was like totally laying in my bed one night, and I was really thinking hard about whether or not God exists, you know? And so, as I lay there, this total sense of peace just like overwhelmed me, and I couldn't move my body at all. And then like as I'm laying there paralyzed, through my window I see this bright light. Not like a you're going to heaven bright light, but a like a beam or whatever, and it totally like shined in my room eventhough it was dark outside. As it passed through the window it like reflected off this dreamscicle that hung from my window seal that my boyfriend John got for our 6 & 1/2 week anniversary. And as it passed through this gift that John got me to show how much he loved me, the beam of light like shined right on my chest. When I looked down at where the light was shining it like totally lit up this cross that I wear around my neck. And from then on I just knew that God was real and that he wanted me to be with John forever."

Religious Experience.

What role does religious experience play in our faith? Should it play any role at all? Should the Bible be the only foundation of my faith in God?

Good questions.

I completely agree that the above paragraph is not a good example of what a true religious experience that leads to faith might look like. I have often found myself in such situations in which someone stands up and gives a testimony much like this, and it scares me to think that someone might base their faith in Jesus on something so "unbelievable." It happens though. Unfortunately, far too often we allow such examples to convince us that as a whole religious experience breeds a faith that is based upon our irrational passions and mere images of what we want to see and believe.

I have heard it said that religious experience should in no way warrant any type of belief, and the only foundation of one's belief should be in the biblical text and the promises that it makes. I believe this to an extent, but only a small one. I believe without any qualms whatsoever that what the Bible tells me about God is true. God is loving, beautiful, creative, wrathful, merciful, grace-filled, and holy. I believe these things, and I would give my life for them. I however do not believe them based upon any view that says that the Bible must be the foundation of my belief. Such a standard is never mentioned in the biblical text itself. I don't believe that God is love because I believe that the Bible is true. I believe that God is love, simple because God is love. I see no need to qualify or back up such a statement. In fact, we have ample instances in the biblical text that point to the notion that religious experience is perfectly apt in being the beginning of one's faith.

Moses and the burning bush. (see Hebrews 11:24- 29)

The voice of God telling Noah to build the Ark. (see Hebrews 11:7)

Paul on the road to Damascus. (Acts 22:6-11)

These are examples of religious experiences that lead to great acts of faith. Where would we be without Moses? Not here. Also, isn't it interesting to note that the person responsible for most of the New Testament came to faith as a result of a private religious experience? What has changed since then? Some has, I admit that, but it seems like it would be best for me to have a faith that somewhat resembled the same type of faith that Paul possessed.

Here's the deal. I'm not advocating the idea that faith is based solely on religious experience. Religious experience is not the foundation of my belief in Jesus, in the same way that I don't believe that the Bible should be the singular foundation for my faith in Jesus. In fact, I don't think there is such a thing that could be the foundation of all that I believe. I just don't think that is how faith works. Now, we shouldn't go about life hoping to be blinded by a bright light or be scared feces-less by a talking, fiery shrub. Personally, I haven't seen Jesus floating above my bed in well over 6 months (kidding), but I have experienced the peace and love of God. I hope I experience it daily, as I do the same for you. It's these experiences that shape my faith and give it texture and character.

Here's the next deal. I don't really know how faith works. I'm completely unfinished in the Jesus department, or any department for that matter. I have grown quite weary however of people who claim to have it all figured out and make claims about faith that discount everything except scripture. I don't have a clue as to how experience or the Bible play a role in being the essence of my faith in Jesus. I do believe they are an essential part of it though, and without either we wouldn't get very far.

peace.
jayrod.

Why couldn't that example from the little teeny bopper be a "true religious experience"? How would hers be any different from Paul's? I know a guy who said he was saved when a ball of fire literally came through a window and entered his chest. I think it really happened. Sometimes I think we're too quick to dismiss that stuff as "unbelievable". I don't think its "unfortunate" either. How could anything which sparks faith in the Infinite God of Mystery ever be unfortunate? No matter how nuts and uncomfortable it makes us. Believe me, I'm probably the first to usually dismiss that kind of stuff. But what if He really does that stuff? What if that's the way He knew that girl would respond? What if He knew that sending the Spirit of Jesus in a fireball to hit my friend in the chest was the only way he'd respond while he was strung out and drunk?

hey b,

I actuallly agree with you wholeheartedly. The example actually comes from a discussion I had with my college pastor this past weekend at a retreat. He used it as an example to show that RE wasn't a viable basis for religious belief. He belonged to the camp that believes the Bible is the only foundation of one's faith.

i do believe we have to be careful that we allow ourselves to accept/interpret certain experiences as divine when in reality they may simply be manifestations of what we want to hear, see, or feel. I think this may be where the Bible comes in as a norming norm for our beliefs.

I meant it to be understood that I think it is unfortunate that we allow such examples, as the girl who used her RE as justification for her dating a boy, to dissuade us from accepting RE as a basis for faith.

Thanks for the response. i wish more people would do this.

All my spiritual revelations come to me through anniversary dreamsicles. What?

"i do believe we have to be careful that we allow ourselves to accept/interpret certain experiences as divine when in reality they may simply be manifestations of what we want to hear, see, or feel. I think this may be where the Bible comes in as a norming norm for our beliefs."

...precisely my friend - I couldn't have said it beter myself, in fact I don't think I could have said it myself.

I have to admit that logic and the Word of God and rational thought about Him and His character might keep me loyal in desert times and yet it is almost 100% experience that will bring me back to His heart. It is what Brennan Manning calls that "felt" knowledge of God's love. The validity of RE must be put in check but it also must be given space. I found that I can become so skeptical of RE that I miss God's heart rather often...I don't like that.

-Stroud

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm jared slack
  • From Waco, Texas, United States
  • Only God can judge me.
My profile
Truett Seminary

Links

Archives

"A God who cannot suffer is poorer than any human. For a God who is incapable of suffering is a being who cannot be involved. Suffering and injustice do not affect him. And because he is so completely insensitive, he cannot be affected or shaken by anything. He cannot weep, for he has no tears. But the one who cannot suffer cannot love either. So he is also a loveless being." ------ Jurgen Moltmann

Powered by Blogger