« Home | down to the wire. » | let's make a deal... » | ..::Freedom, O freedom, that's just people talking... » | I started class today. After a 6 month involuntar... » | And then there was... » | yeah yeah. » | The Openness of God. » | Opening Remarks » | Who am I? The End. » | something to win you back.... »

i love my job.

ok. So I don't really believe in the whole meticulous providence thing. i don't think any of us do, or we wouldn't do half the stuff that we've done (or "will do" depending on your perspective).

If God had any part in that time that I shoved a yard stick into my brother's mouth, ripping the back of his throat open, and nearly killing him (it's a long story...), then God's got some explaining to do.

however, I will say this... well atleast until the day that he tells me to say otherwise. (ok that was a joke. you were supposed to laugh, but I imagine most of you don't get the irony)

ok. so. I will say this: I believe that God is highly involved in the workings of the world. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I have lost sight of this reality. (and no. I am not referring to this, rather I am talking about this, and yes, I still think about that)

Coming here to Waco has always seemed to be a form of settling. A concession if you will. I promised myself to be here only as long as my circumstances demand, and after that I am gone. I never expected much from my time here, nor did I expect much from myself. Truett was #2 on a list that was only one item long. I am supposed to be there not here. You cannot convince me otherwise.

God didn't make me financially incapable any more than God made my mom confiscate my Rambo action figure as a result of the aforementioned incident with my brother and his esophagus. So don't go there. I'm a highly trained cynic, and you don't stand a chance against my impenetrable walls of negativity and anti-authoritative tendencies.

All that being said. I love my job. I won't go into specifics, simply because of the nature of my position and the place that I work. But I have the opportunity to work with the most incredible people in the world. I spend my time combating social labels and uncloaking the existence of goodness and hope in the face of dire circumstances.

About a month ago I witnessed a miracle (don't picture this). I won't tell you what it was, because it was for me to see and not you. It was my glimmer of hope that I had been needing for quite some time.

Experiencing goodness never gets old. It's like hugging my grandmother. It offers a fresh dose of acceptance and a damn good starting place.

i love my job. maybe God has something to do with that.

jared.

I don't know if in this life we will ever really understand how God works in our lives. I just know that He does. I believe in our individualistic free will but God is so alive in His creation that it would be strange to think that He had no effect on it. At least on the situations that confront us. I think that its probably our fault for assinging the terms "good" and "bad" to them when we were never given that kind of knowledge by God. BTW, open theism is kinda creepy.

Hydro, post a picture into one of your blogs. Then use that picture and post it into your profile. There should be a clickable help file somewhere when you are writing the blog.

Open theism is creepy?

in what way?

and. i am not an open theist.

i just think it is worth considering.

Yeah, I didnt think you could be an open theist and remain a good, little Catholic boy.

I guess I am just not comfortable with the idea that God exists within time and that He is subject to the sames laws of it that we are. Maybe I just dont understand the concept well enough. But that has never stopped me from commenting on anything else in my life.

THe Poep was funny, But the white-suited Benny wsa funnier- Htanks for your authenticity. What's up with The Regentthing- I, being slow and gray, missed that.

I was originally supposed to be going to Regent College in Vancouver BC for graduate school/seminary.

Vancouver is an incredibly expensive place to survive in. Even with my 70% scholarship, I couldnt afford to live there.

I had to make the tough decision between being incredibly in debt and following my dream, or coming to Waco and being not as financially (and as of late maybe even becoming out of debt) but going to a school that I put second to attending Regent.

to let you know how much i wanted to go to Regent. J.I. Packer teaches there. As well, the theologian I wrote my senior thesis over (the late Stanley Grenz) taught there.

I will say this though, Truett is a wonderful school. It has gone above and beyond everything I had ever expected Truett to be. I knew Truett was a good school before I came here, but it has exceeded my preconcieived notions in all ways. I really dont look at Truett as a step down.

Academically and Spiritually Truett is just what I need. But let's be honest, You can't beat Vancouver in the summer.

I knew Packer taught there, but did not know about Grentz- Everyone I know who has been or is ar Truett seems pleased- but I agree Vancouver summer would beat Centex any day.

Truett's great.

so talking about j-o-b-s, jrod, you wouldn't know anyone who is hiring for just about anything?

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm jared slack
  • From Waco, Texas, United States
  • Only God can judge me.
My profile
Truett Seminary

Links

Archives

"A God who cannot suffer is poorer than any human. For a God who is incapable of suffering is a being who cannot be involved. Suffering and injustice do not affect him. And because he is so completely insensitive, he cannot be affected or shaken by anything. He cannot weep, for he has no tears. But the one who cannot suffer cannot love either. So he is also a loveless being." ------ Jurgen Moltmann

Powered by Blogger